I can think of plenty that I'd like to see at Fort Myers...
- The word is that Victor Martinez is working hard on his footwork and shifting, the precurson to effective throwing. The Varitek-Martinez combination was beyond futile at catching runners last season.
- Casey Kelly. Let's hope for a man-child to help lead us to the Promised Land.
- David Ortiz. May he find the Fountain of Youth.
- The double-play combination of Pedroia and Scutaro...not to dismiss Jed Lowrie, but he seems star-crossed by illness and injury, and the looming Jose Iglesias.
- The youngsters...like Jason Place and Lars Anderson. Prospects or suspects.
- Everyone raves at the defense of AB (Adrian Beltre). Chicks dig the long ball...does the ball jump off his bat?
- The outfield defense of Ellsbury, Cameron, and Drew should be spectacular.
- Does Jonathan Papelbon seriously plan to bring back his full arsenal of pitches? A one-pitch closer hardly ever works, unless you have the Rivera cutter.
MLB.com with a predictions forum.
I went to school with EV but obviously lack even a shred of his mathematical insight. This probably has the relevance of the Pirsigian view of quality in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.