The strength of the team ostensibly is its starting pitching, which has largely betrayed them.
Josh Beckett contests a suspension, Jon Lester hasn't gotten it together, and Daisuke Matsuzaka goes on the DL, a casualty of the World Baseball Classic.
So what's logical?
- Brad Penny goes Friday
- Beckett is contesting suspension, and presumably would be available Saturday; then serve his suspension
- Lester would go Sunday
- Masterson would move into the rotation Monday against Baltimore
- Wakefield would come back Tuesday.
- Ideally the Sox use a spot starter callup Wednesday (Bowden or Tazawa)
- Thursday would be an off day
- Friday they bring back Penny
- Saturday would mean Lester
- Sunday night (having served his six game suspension) Beck against the Yankees.
The Sox need a day off to lick their wounds and recover some swagger. Winning a series might help...