Saturday, June 04, 2005

No Pen Pals. 2 out of 3 Ain't Bad (L13-6)

Baby we can talk all night
But that aint getting us nowhere
I've told you everything I possibly can
There's nothing left inside of here

And maybe you can cry all night
But that'll never change the way that I feel
The snow is really piling up outside
I wish you wouldnt make me leave here

I poured it on and I poured it out
I tried to show you just how much I care
I'm tired of words and i'm too hoarse to shout
But you've been cold to me so long I'm crying icicles instead of tears

And all I can do Is keep on telling you
I want you
I need you
But there aint no way I'm ever gonna love you
Now dont be sad
Cause 2 out of 3 aint bad
Now dont be sad
Cause 2 out of 3 aint bad

You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach
You'll never drill for oil on a city street
I know youre looking for a ruby in a mountain of rocks
But there aint no Coup de ville hiding at the bottom of a CrackerJack box

I cant lie I cant tell you that i'm something i'm not no matter how i try
I'll never be able to give you something something that i just havent got Well theres only one girl that I will ever love and that was so many years ago
And though I know i'll never get her out of my heart
She never loved me back, ooh i know

I remember how she left me on a stormy night
She kissed me and got out of our bed
And though I pleaded and I begged her not to walk out that door
She packed her bags and turned right away

And she kept on telling me
she kept on telling me
she kept on telling me
I want you
I need you
But there aint no way i'm ever gonna love you
Now dont be sad Cause 2 out of 3 aint bad
--Meatloaf

Fortunately, I had a graduation party to attend so I didn't have to watch the latest bullpen atrocity. Bronson Arroyo rebounded from several tough starts to pitch six innings of two-run ball, only to have most of the bullpen come in and ignite the Angels into scoring 11 runs in three innings without MVP Vlad Guerrero. Kevin Millar came out of his season-long slump with two homers and a double for the Sox.

Futility defines most of the pen currently, as almost everyone out there struggles to make good pitches and get guys out. From the front end of the pen to the back, consistency remains elusive. General Manager Theo Epstein has to make some decisions concerning either the talent level, the usage, or some combination.

The two bright notes for the Sox were the play of Portland and Pawtucket as both had walkoff homers to win. Portland scored three in the ninth, behind a walkoff homer by David Murphy (2) who has struggled at AA. Brandon Moss (3 hits, .288) continues his surge and it was a treat to watch (Comcast CN8) Hanley Ramirez and Dustin Pedroia (2 hits). Murphy, Alberto Concepcion, Chris Durbin, and Jeff Bailey each had two hits. Portland pounded out 15 hits and had some quality at-bats in promoting the organizational approach. Additionally, Kason Gabbard showed a good changeup and overhand curve from the left side.

Portland won the second game 6-4, behind strong pitching from David Pauley (3-1, 3.02) and two homers from Brandon Moss (.294/.363/.500/.863) who has been absolutely on fire the past ten days. .

In Pawtucket, Justin Sherrod (7) had a three-run blast to left center with two outs in the ninth to seal a come-from-behind victory. Little Luis Figueroa had homers from each side of the plate including the game tying homer in the ninth. Juan Perez, a Dominican lefthander looked sharp for the PawSox in a game broadcast on NESN. George Lombard had three hits and scored three runs as well.

I've been harping on the bullpen for it seems like forever, but the Sox aren't going anywhere without improved pen performances.

1 comment:

Term Papers said...

I really admire this, I mean it really looks interesting!