Friday, June 01, 2007

Reg-gie

Reggie Smith (actually like Yaz, I believe his first name was Carl) appeared in the booth with Don and Jerry, bringing back a lot of old memories. Although Smith started the season at second, he became the everyday centerfielder for the Impossible Dream Sox.

What are my Reggie Smith memories? (CLICK ON BOX TO ENLARGE)

  • First, he wore number 7, which I remember because that was my sister's birthday (7/7)
  • Second, Reggie had a great arm, one of the best ever. I saw him throw out Dave McNally on an attempted sacrifice fly just in front of the 379 mark.
  • I also heard that in a throwing contest with Yaz from the Sox dugout, Yaz barely reached the left field wall. Reggie pegged a seed into the screen!
  • But my biggest Reggie memory is his 'player comparison'.

I'm not saying that the two players are the same, although both were outfielders, both won Gold Gloves, and both played in the World Series.

If you don't remember Reggie as being that good, consider that he had more than thirty homers twice, had an OPS of more than 1.000 one season, and finished in the top 5 in MVP voting twice. As for Player B, he had a nice career, too. Fred Lynn, Reggie's number one match on similarity scores.

No comments: