Props to Big Dog at Boston Dirt Dogs for the PapelVaughn headline after the mohawk. Awesome, baby!
Back to action, the Sox rolled into Cleveland in a most strange game. First, the Tribe has a scary lineup. Anybody here remember the old days with the Tribe? Joe Azcue, Duke Sims, Rocky Colavito, Sudden Sam McDowell? Colavito used to stretch holding both hands at the ends of the bat, putting the bat behind his head. McDowell was reminiscent of Mitch 'Wild Thing' Williams.
How many anomalies were there? As Oil Can Boyd might say, "that's what happens when you build a ballpark next to the ocean."
1) Curt Schilling really battled after Cleveland had some fantastic hacks at him early.
2) Ortiz homers off lefty specialist (LOOGY - lefthander out of the pen to get one guy) Sauerbeck
3) Manny homers after an intentional walk to Ortiz
4) Two oddball double plays including a pickoff into a double play, and a double play started in the middle infield and culminating in a play at the plate
5) Timlin fanning Grady Sizemore on a hanging slider. In a results-oriented world, it's every bit as good as a perfect one.
Papelbon - I'm still favoring Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel as his theme music...
I did not believe the information
Just had to trust imagination
My heart was going boom boom, boom
Son, he said, grab your things, I’ve come to take you home.
Foulke - clearly regaining form as a setup guy, with command, control, and the change (I hope he's having fun again)
Willie Harris - kinda making Adam Stern look like Mickey Mantle so far. Get well soon, Coco.
Mike Lowell - lots of leather and the stick has been better than advertised
Pitching and defense, pitching and defense, pitching and defense. An 8-6 win that may have been well-pitched. Strength up the middle (as soon as Coco gets back).