Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Curse of Mister X

Last summer while attending a conference in Vail, I got to talking baseball with a former Bomber employee who had worked out of Tampa. From a professional courtesy standpoint, I'll call him Mister X. Well, we got to talking about the playoffs, and I commented about how well the New Yawkers had played recently.

Mr. X provided plenty of reassurance. He explained how Mr. Steinbrenner had fired him in the fall of 2001, without getting into the details. And he promised the Gothams wouldn't win the World Series. "It's the curse. My wife cursed them just before the 2001 Series."

Alex Cora's looper over Derek Jeter Friday reminded me about the curse, which realistically has had pretty good staying power over the last six seasons. The finest embodiment of the curse came on the carbon copy by Luis Gonzalez in Game 7 against the Diamondbacks. So maybe all this DL stuff, bloop hits, and Okajima magic isn't accidental. Now you know.

No comments: